There are many different insurance companies, who provide cycle insurance.
With families often having 1, 2, 3, 4 or more bikes in the garage. Are they all locked up? Family bikes soon add up in value!
Mountain bikes, race or road bikes, many cost thousands of pounds!
Are Your Families Bikes Insured?
- Secure your bikes even in the garage.
- Protect with proper bike locks.
- Locks are well worth the cost.
- This may bring your premium down!
- Add up the costs of helmets and clothing.
Then things become quite a cost if stolen.
Finding The Right Cycle Cover
Searches related to cycle insurance vary.
- From best cycle insurance.
- To bicycle insurance money saving expert!
- Look online for the right type of cycle cover.
- In addition, bike racks are not cheap!
- Make sure you have the serial number of your bike.
Apparently, over 376,000 bicycles stolen every year!
- No doubt, as more of us take to leisure and cycling.
- Therefore, more bikes will be required tempting thieves .
- In fact, most bicycle thefts are from outside the victim’s homes,
- Are we just relying on a house insurance?
Of those bikes stolen only 5% of home contents policies included bikes. This information according to Cyclist.co.uk.
Bike Cover on Motorhomes.
Covering bikes being carried on the back of motorhomes, this is a debatable subject.
The question is are they on cover?
- Well on some policies they are covered on others they are not!
So, are they covered by theft from your motorhome policy?
Cycle Insurance Cover
The larger cycle dealers and manufacturers, have their own cycle insurance.
- They cover most aspects on cycle insurance.
- See the likes Wiggle cycle insurance and Evans cycle insurance.
- Some provide free cover, when you buy a bike from them!
Its the detail of the cover you need to check.
Why Insure Your Bikes?
The current estimated is that around 2 million Britons are regular cyclists. With many famous cyclists, becoming knights of the realm. Sir Chris Hoy and Sir Bradley Wiggins. Due mainly to achievements in the Tour de France and Olympic Games
Along, with other now cycling legends Mark Cavendish, Laura Trott, Chris Froome and Victoria Pendleton. Their participation and success has led to a boom in the whole cycling industry. More interest, more bikes, more thefts!
Yes, all you want to do is to ride your bicycle! However, there are some interesting legal points, to riding a bike on the highway.
This applies to what is know as cycle law;
1, the statutory law, 2, the common law, 3, the highway code and 4, bylaws and local provisions.
There is a case for examining bicycle insurance law.
Cycle Insurance Tips
- Protecting your bicycle is one thing.
- Being liable and insured for you actions is another.
- What does cycle insurance really cover.
- Check out the scope of the cover and details.
- Protecting your bike may be one thing.
- Protecting you, may be another thing to think about.
- If you cause an accident or damage someone’s property.
- Therefore, you may be liable.
As we all know accidents do happen, and falling from your bike is no joke, it hurts!
- Even more, if you’re responsible for damage or injury to other road users.
- Some form of public liability cover, is a good thing.
- This may provide an essential benefit to protect you financially.
We know that cycling on busy road or even pedestrians crossing can be a hazard.
Person accident cover is another key part in any cycle insurance.
- Serious injury may be sustained from riding your bicycle.
- Covering in case of more serious accidents, may be a good option.
- Especially, thinking of providing family peace of mind.
- Why take the risk?
Just consider, that a simple form of cycle cover will help protect you.
Private Medical and Dental
Falling from a bike is not a pleasant experience!
- You can easy break a collarbone, or break a leg or wrist.
- Make sure the cover extends to private medical cover.
- Ask yourself why wait in A&E?
- Why not make your experience as painless as possible.
If you need emergency treatment, private medical or dental care, may just be invaluable.
It is possible you may need some physiotherapy or emergency treatment.
- If you are injured in any way, see what cover is in place.
- No doubt, whilst wanting to get back on your bike.
- Some form of help, like physiotherapy, may be required.
Obtaining cover on many medical issues, is a cover that maybe needed.
Electric Bicycle Insurance
The emergence of electric bicycles and their cost.
- Certainly warrants being covered by some form of cycle insurance.
- This is a really interesting development in cycling.
- Especially, for older people.
- Who may need that little pedal power on those hills.
Being away in a motorhome you need another easy form of transport.
- What better than a bicycle?
- To just pop to the shop.
- And to keep you fit as well!
Protecting Cycles From Theft
There are a number of actions, to carry out to protect your bike from theft. Remember, it is hard to recover your bike if you cannot prove your ownership.
- Registering your bike is really important.
- Taking photos of your bike is a good idea
- Make a record of the frame number.
- Look at safe cycle parking with Stolen Ride if in London.
There are places online that actively look out for stolen bikes. Many cycling communities, believe that prevention is the first step to avoid having your cycle stolen.
Also, with so many bikes now being reported stolen, there is growing call to legally registered bikes. Therefore, having to transfer a bike to a new owner when sold.
Other Good Cycling Advice;
- Choose a good lock carefully.
- Do not use a cheap cable lock.
- Find a good lock that insurers like.
- Insure your cycle.
- Insure your family’s cycles.
Cycle To Work
Yes, there is a cycle to work incentive that has been in operation from the UK government. Basically, this is to incentivise people to cycle to work. For more information see the information on the Gov website.